As it is National Pie Day what better way to celebrate than a chat with Paul Phillips, owner of West Cork Pies. He and his family have been visiting the area for years but finally moved here in August 2012, shortly thereafter he started making his famous pies. Currently available in local (and not so local) pubs and markets you will soon find in them on supermarket shelves throughout the county.
- His favourite view is from Sailors Hill, overlooking Roaring Water Bay and the perfect sound track? Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile.
- He wishes he hadn’t given up playing the guitar and is trying to reacquaint himself with the instrument again.
- The best nights in Schull are those impromptu ones that you stumble on, the village quiet on a winter’s evening but the pub filled with a spontaneous and lively ‘seisiún’.
- When he was 5 he wanted to be an underwater explorer like Jacques Cousteau.
- An extra couple of hours would be best spent “with a Murphy’s, today’s paper and no interruptions.”
- He wishes he owned a vintage Massey Ferguson tractor!