If you have spent any time in Schull it is safe to say you might have come across Mark McCarthy. If you are of a certain generation you probably grew up with him, the next generation will have danced into the small hours listening to his eclectic and exciting taste in music and older generations have trusted him to look after your children and teach them to sail. He is currently the Bos’un at the FMOEC.
- He has lived in Schull since he was 7, went to school here, left for a little bit and has returned to fulfil his life long dream of being a sailor.
- His favourite view is obviously out at sea, looking from Goat Island towards Crookhaven and the music; anything from Radiohead’s “In Rainbows”.
- After thinking really hard he reckons he has tried most hobbies and is still looking for the right one.
- Inevitably if he has a couple of spare hours he would head into Hackett’s for a pint or two, but it wouldn’t be either Murphy’s OR Guinness.
- His favourite night out would be dinner with friends, possibly enjoying a freshly made margherita pizza.
- What he wishes he owned; a bigger stereo, when pressed as to details, he admitted what he really wanted was a louder one!