Gary ‘Ted’ Sargent has left Schull this morning after months of meticulous planning and a huge amount of shear grafting to realise his current dream. Sailing is in his blood, as was the idea of challenging himself, crossing the Atlantic – maybe, circumnavigating the world – maybe, circumnavigating the country – yes! So with that in mind he is setting off to sail all the way round and back to Schull (hopefully in mid June) in a tiny laser! We wish him Bon Voyage and Fair Winds. Follow his exploits through the usual channels (https://www.facebook.com/onewildride.ie)
1. Schull is the natural starting point, close to the West Coast and the Fastnet is there – such a symbol of world sailing.
2. Reckons his favourite view will be sailing back into Schull after nearly 1500 miles at sea and he has it planned “A Long Way to the Top” by AC/DC will playing loud and clear!
3. When asked what hobby he wished he had taken up 10 years ago, his response “sailing is and has always been my life’.
4. He hopes to have a couple of hours on his return to explore the village and meet more people and to experience his best night out in Schull which will be epically celebrating his achievement.
5. He drinks Guinness and his favourite pizza is an Hawaiian with extra jalepenos
6. What did he want to be when he was 5? “Don’t know, still trying to figure that one out!”
7. He wants for nothing, ” I have my health, I am still learning, still having fun – I am happy out!